You’ve been good about social distancing and quarantining during the COVID-19 pandemic. All of a sudden, you have a stabbing pain in your tooth that won’t go away. Not wanting to catch the virus, you may be hesitant to pick up the phone and schedule an emergency dental appointment. Fortunately, the dental office is one of the safest places you can be. Even when not taking extra precautions due to COVID-19, your dentist in Lutz adheres to strict hygiene and sanitation guidelines to ensure your safety at all times.
Just like any medical practice, dental offices adhere to stringent sanitary standards. Dentists and their teams take great care to protect you and themselves during each and every appointment. Some of these include:
- Hand Washing: Dentists and their team members wash their hands immediately before and after each interaction with a patient. Coupled with wearing gloves during your appointment, this effectively negates the spread of germs between your mouth and their hands.
- Use of PPE: Dentists use PPE, short for Personal Protective Equipment, during every procedure they perform. Masks ensure that they are not passing on any airborne germs to you while gloves and handwashing keep you safe from anything being spread by hand-to-mouth contact.
- Tool Sterilization: Any instrument that a dentist or hygienist uses on your teeth during an appointment has been thoroughly sterilized. CDC guidelines mandate that dental tools may not be reused on patients without having been completely disinfected. You can be certain that any tool used on you is entirely safe and sterile.
- Office Sterilization: Aside from personal protection and tool sterilization, dental offices take great care to sanitize the entire environment. Each exposed surface in an operatory is carefully cleaned before and after each appointment. Additionally, many offices practice the use of disposable plastic barriers on things like lights and chair heads to further ensure a safe visit.
Even during normal times, dentists take great care to make sure that you’re receiving the best treatment possible in a completely sanitized office. During the pandemic, many practices are taking even greater precautions while seeing emergency patients.
The COVID-19 pandemic has many people concerned for their safety. While most dental offices are closed for regular appointments, many are still seeing emergency patients on an as-needed basis. They know how important it is to create a completely safe location for their patients and are taking extra steps to maintain completely sterile offices.
Many practices are doing things like:
- Daily health checks of their entire team
- Setting up virtual waiting rooms so that you can wait in your car until it’s time for your appointment
- Offering teledentistry and consultations online
- Using extra PPE like face shields, surgical gowns, and shoe coverings
- Using advanced chairside suction techniques to minimize aerosol contamination
Even during the pandemic, your dentist’s office is one of the safest places you can be. Their standard hygiene and sterilization techniques paired with new methods to combat the virus guarantee that you are in very good hands. If you ever have a dental emergency, don’t hesitate to pick up the phone and get the help you need.
About the Author
Dr. Jay Nelson is dedicated to keeping his patients safe and healthy. He is committed to providing the latest in dentistry in a safe and sterile environment. Since graduating dental school at the University of Pennsylvania, Dr. Nelson has undergone advanced additional training and continuing education. He has completed courses at the world-renowned Pankey Institute, the Center for Advanced Dental Studies, and works as a professional consultant to the dental industry. When you visit his office, you can be sure that you will get exceptional care in a comfortable, safe setting. If you’d like to learn more about what precautions Dr. Nelson and his team are taking, you can email them or call the office at (813) 333-9265.